As we age slips, trips, falls, over-reach and diminished sensory judgement become liabilities. If you're in a category at risk, or you have a loved one or family member who is, you may want to consider some of the practical measures that can be taken to reduce that risk. eHark shares this kind of information with it's personal care aides when they are helping seniors. Many of these steps make seniors daily activities easier and reduce the risk of exposure to unsafe conditions.
Here are some of the steps that can be taken:
- Sofas and chairs should have seats at a height that make it easy to sit down and get up.
- Cabinets should be within arms length without stretch.
- Closets should be well lighted.
- Rugs and runners on solid floors should be non-skid.
- Clutter and other obstructions should not be in walking pathways.
- Use a timer when cooking or warming up foods.
- Continue to monitor the home environment to ensure a safe home.
If you have any more suggestions that you have found helpful, feel free to comment below.